London Bridge: Local government leaders condemn attack

LOCAL GOVERNMENT leaders have united in condemnation of Saturday's terrorist attack in London.

Seven people were killed and 48 injured when three attackers drove a vehicle into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people in Borough Market. All three were shot dead by police.

London mayor Sadiq Khan said: "There can be no justification or excuses for these barbaric cowardly attacks.

"I want to express my deepest gratitude on behalf of all Londoners to the police and emergency services for the speed and bravery of their response. Once again, they ran towards danger while encouraging others to run to safety. All Londoners are grateful for their efforts.

"Our city - the greatest in the world - will never forget the innocent victims who lost their lives."

Cllr Peter John, leader of Southwark Council, said: "This was a pointless and horrific attack which has caused real and great harm but will achieve nothing.

"As ever, the emergency services have responded heroically and I would like to thank them for all they have done and continue to do following these awful events.

"Just one attack of this sort is devastating, but as a city and a country we have suffered far too much in recent months. Southwark is an amazing borough and we are strongest when we stand together, support one another, and choose unity in the face of hatred."

A vigil to honour those killed and injured in the attack will take place at Potters Field Park, near London Bridge, at 6pm on Monday 5 June.

Mayor Khan is inviting all Londoners and visitors to the city to remember the victims and "show the world that we stand united in the face of those who seek to harm and divide us and to stop our way of life".

The mayor will be joined by senior representatives of the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police, the London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade, as well as civic faith and community leaders.

For those who cannot attend Potters Field Park, a minute's silence will be held at 6.20pm.

The British Red Cross has launched a new UK Solidarity Fund to help victims of terror in the UK.

Working in partnership with the London Emergency Trust, the new fund will help to alleviate immediate suffering and ensure the victims and their families do not face short-term financial difficulties.

The British Red Cross has been running the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund since last month's attack at the Manchester Arena, which has so far raised over £7m.